Our beloved founding member, long standing supporter , true humanist and a champion of compassion Richard Hawthorne passed away on April 23. He served on the committee for many years and was active in organising events, displays and many other jobs to assist in smooth running of NIFC. He will be deeply missed. His passion and vision will always motivate and guide us to work for a better tomorrow.
Nottingham Inter Faith Council is a local charitable organisation. It has been working in Greater Nottingham for over 30 years and also in the County since around 2006, to overcome prejudice and promote social harmony. We currently assist in the management of several Food Banks in Nottingham.
Our aim is to help the poor and the persecuted, the hungry and the homeless, the lonely and the vulnerable. We do this by creating partnerships between different faith groups and secular agencies that deliver food.
The Council has encouraged local people to get to know each other, in and beyond their communities, through meetings, training seminars, visits to places of worship, social events and healthy discussion. We are affiliated to the Inter Faith Network for the UK. Our President is the Lord Mayor of Nottingham. The management committee includes at least one nominated representative from each of these local faith groups.
Bahá’ís, Brahma Kumaris, Buddhists, Christians, Hindus, Jews, Muslims, Quakers, Sikhs, Pagans
- We provide training and seminars on Faith and Belief, to explore different aspects of world religions.
- We engage with statutory bodies to address issues of local concern for Faith Communities.
- We address issues about religious or racial prejudice, also when we believe that national and international incidents such as terrorism, or some other atrocities, may impact in some way, on our local communities. We respond appropriately, through public statements and by networking through local media and through these communities, to encourage measured responses.
- We facilitate events to bring communities together and also to engage area management from Statutory Bodies, with their local area’s Faith Communities.
- We hold annual programmes of events for members and guests. This includes bringing together members and the wider communities, by providing a safe space for healthy discussion about current Faith topics and social concern, which may be impacting on our local communities.
To share knowledge and promote understanding of the beliefs and practices of different faiths and the importance of spiritual aspects of life. To contribute to a more understanding and tolerant community by building bridges between people of different faiths and showing the wider public the contributions faith communities make to society. To work together in harmony and friendship, with respect for the distinctiveness of different beliefs and traditions. To work in partnership with other organisations, on issues of concern to faith communities.
We provide training on Faith and Belief, to raise awareness about how it may impact in the workplace and the wider community.
Nottingham Inter Faith Council and One Nottingham
Nottingham’s Faiths Forum was formed in 2009 to provide all faiths with a voice, through the elected Faith’s Advocate member, to the City Council’s One Nottingham Board. Also to support the work of the Advocate in their role as Board member. Nottingham Inter Faith Council is a founding member of this Forum, which is open to representation from any Faith community within the City of Nottingham.
Our current executive members since September 2016
- Mr Godfrey Nix – Chair
- Mrs Surinder Kaur Samra – Vice Chair
- Ms Patricia Stoat – Secretary
- Mr Pawan Joshi – Treasurer
- Mrs Mel Gotheridge
Membership is open to any individuals and organisations in Nottinghamshire who agree with our aims. That includes faith groups and places of worship, their members, and people with no faith of their own who are interested in knowing more. No-one will try to convert you ! The emphasis is on learning about each others’ ideas and ways of life, and finding ways to work together while respecting the distinctiveness of different traditions. To join the Interfaith Council please download our membership form and then post to us c/o RS Resource Centre, The Vine Centre, Bobbers Mill Road, Nottingham NG7 5GZ.
Only a life lived in service to others is worth living.
There is only one cast, the cast of Humanity. There is only one religion, the religion of Love.
Satya Sai Baba